Tuesday, August 31, 2010

BETWEEN THE LINES.

Believe it or not, I actually read. Novels. I occasionally pick up the newspaper, but since it's so easy to get worldwide news with a click of a button, I find it simple and easy to browse the New York Times website for my fixing. But novels are completely different. There's something about holding a hardcover or paperback in my hands, turning on a lamp, and embedding two hours a night reading a book.

I've been on this crazy Haruki Murakami craze lately. I've read four of his novels in a span of a month, two of his short story collections in a week, just finished his memoir about running, and I've got three of his novels sitting beside me.

I just finished this one, South of the Border, West of the Sun. I started it on Sunday morning and finished it Monday night. Whoa.

Probably my number one favorite from the bunch, Norwegian Wood. It's not just a love story most people (and critics) make it out to be. But I'll let you decipher that yourself.

Kyle bought these short story collections awhile ago. I finally zipped through these last month. I still gotta' get my hands on The Elephant Vanishes, his other short story book. Someone buy it for me!

This was the memoir I was talking about, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. Not just about running, but about life in general. Philosophy, love- and most importantly, his past and journey as a literary writer.

I finished Kafka on the Shore in four days. It's like the book was glued to my hands- I couldn't put it down. Read the first chapter and you'll see what I'm talking about.

And next on deck:

And finally...

Also, check out Sputnik Sweetheart and After Dark. Reading is fundamental.

by derekwong