Friday, April 24, 2009

MAN KIND.

During the golden era of my youth, whenever I heard the "What do you want to be when you grow up?" questions, the simple answer back was, a firefighter, or a doctor, a professional soccer player, a lawyer or P.E. teacher. Not knowing where exactly my destination would be, I would always answer those specific occupations to my teachers, family members, friends, school counselors, etc. I can truly say now that I didn't understand myself enough to reply back with anything. I should have just said nothing.

Now as I enter my second half of studies at Art Center, I am faced with the same question asked in my salad days. The answer seems to be the same. The obvious response would be a designer, illustrator, photographer, director, fine artist or all of the above. But here's the thing; there's more than that. My vision seems to be clearer and clearer as I mature in the City of Angels.

Now I know what I want to be. A loving husband. And a great and supporting father (like my own Pops). A man with integrity. A man with compassion. A man who lives for love and with love. After getting back from Las Vegas with Kyle last weekend, we discussed how much effort goes into a "vacation". (I'll let you find that out for yourself) But I immediately thought of my parents on how much they support us. Not only financially, but more importantly, emotionally. To not only provide us with food on the table and a roof over our heads, but they're just a phone call away, anytime, any day. Which brings me back to the point of this post: vacations. Spending quality time with family are memories far more important than anything else in the world. To grasp those moments and hold tight onto them because they are priceless and
truly timeless.

Stop and think what's around you. No, stop and think who's around you.

by derekwong